Quick Links
Skip to main contentSkip to navigation

Osmond Community Schools

District Information

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

 

District Information

Osmond Community Schools History

“A school existed before the town was laid out.  Early references to the first school have one thing in common – it was badly located.  Constructed in 1889, writings indicate the town’s first school building was situated west of the village proper apparently not far from where the Petersen & Son firm was located.”

“The first teacher was Mrs. Mary Frost of Plainview.  The one-room building was later divided into two rooms and was also moved into town.  A third room was added later.  Three more public schools have served Osmond residents, one built in 1897 which burned in 1910; a replacement building was constructed in 1910 (both located in Northeast Osmond) and the present school at the north edge of town.  The first class to graduate from Osmond High School was the Class of 1898, and had five students.”

“In 1969 a citizens’ committee was authorized to study the feasibility of redistricting, consolidating 14 of the rural districts with the town school.  The redistricting plan and one for a half-million dollar new school met with voter approval and students began classes there in January of 1962.  In later years, the Foster district ceased operation of its elementary school and became a part of the Osmond district.”

In October of 1999 a building addition was completed and the students began using the new facilities at Osmond Community Schools.

(Information was taken from the “A Century of Memories” Centennial book published by the Osmond Republican)